Wednesday, June 30

Dunno when this happened, but Belinda Stronach is a smart (supportive) girl?!

Other cool chicks and broads, brave and brazen, some tragic and tormented. These are the ones I always thought were amazing.

Nina Simone, she know how you feel
Billie Holiday
Mary Tyler Moore!
Judy Garland
Ms Monroe

I hesitate to add women who although influential, took back seats or supportive roles, like wives of leaders... Not that it isn't important to SUPPORT, but I always have looked to the LEADERS themselves, or the trail blazers. I was trying to think of women in the 60s, 70s and even 80s that I would have SEEN as a woman in power in her own rights, by her own steam.

I always saw something in, or understood something (or wanted to understand?) in the heroine of the story. I enjoyed the unconventional-ness of Nancy Drew finding her own answers, always seeking THE TRUTH, and Ruth Fielding becoming an actress in the 1920s. I loved reading books from the beginning of last century through to the 60s and KNOWING that women's roles were changing over this very period.

Growing up I realized at a young age (probably because my Nana was nick named PET by her husband) that there were different roles for women. They were moms, they were wives, they made lunches and were on the PTA. They had supportive roles. Then, as I got towards 8 or 9, I began reading more and LOOKING for other examples of women in other roles. There was Mary Tyler Moore, probably the only single career lady on TV that I can recall at the time other than Wonder Woman. By the time I was 12 my mom went back to work, and then I saw "Career Lady" first hand. Then I realized my teachers were Career Ladies, and so were the principals of the schools, and the superintendants. And my recognition of what was achievable expanded and continues to expand.

So here is to
Where we were... and Where we are...

To the Mary Tyler Moore's everywhere. Cheers.

1 comment:

~n~ said...

nana might have been called Pet but she wasn't your typical housewife. sure there were fairly delineated gender roles there, very typical ones, but she was also a very successful artist in her own right, and her local fame was the 'big news', not her being called Pet in private by her husband. It was a term of endearment, affection, not meant in a derogatory or demeaning way at all. I never saw it as a 'less than', perhaps because I felt he regarded her as an equal in the relationship. but i can see how it does sound not-the-greatest in this day & age, sure. just my 2 sleep-deprived cents. lol