Thursday, January 22

Okally dokally neighbour-oonies, it's a fandiddly bee-yootiful day! Well, actually it chilled a few degrees since Monday when we actually warmed up and hit ZERO here. Amazing how last Wednesday it goes from -45C to zero in three days time. Only in Winnipeg. Today, minus 13C or so I believe. The ground is covered in crunchy snow as opposed to slushy slippery snow...


Speaking of climate changes anyone catch the political climate change in the south and watch the Obama inauguration? Wow, what a sea of people. I kind of had mixed feelings listening to the news. I mean, yes, we need to recognize the historic value of having a black president run the United States. Regardless of who won, it was an (an? a? which is grammatically correct...i think AN...) historic election in that either a woman or a black man would win the US Presidency. But I have a hard time supressing my own "what-does-it-really-matter" thoughts; I mean, what year is this? In 1984 Jesse Jackson ran for president; perhaps being 9 years old I didn't notice the news at the time. I'm just saying today we have many people of diverse backgrounds running companies and countries in the world. We have Indra Nooyi as the CEO of Pepsi. We have loads of other women in power around the world. What I'm trying to say is it's ALREADY happening out there, man!!! lol...

I know, I know- this is the first time in THE STATES that anything like this has happened. Yes, it IS way, way overdue. I get that, I do. It's been hundreds of years of powerful white men running the USA (much like most Fortune 500 corporations there also). But globally speaking, today the diversity factor is SO strong that almost nobody is from any one background. Mixed race marriages have been on a steady incline for what, the last 30 years? These stats are steadily increasing. I would argue that it's increasingly more difficult to find someone that is (ie) 100% of any one nationality, color or whatever anymore. Most caucasion people, for example, have mixed backgrounds from various parts of Europe. I know I'm one of those. Granted this doesn't show OUTWARDLY to the world like skin color does but regardless we're pretty well ALL from mixed backgrounds already. We just can't SEE it. Personally, I absolutely LOVE learning about culture, legends and stories, picking up languages and talking about what makes YOU, YOU!

Anyhoo, yay for the USA that Obama is in power and yes, it's overdue to have a president of color. The global political and corporate landscape has been changing and continues to change. Diversity should be celebrated, change is good, big wheel keep on turnin'...

No comments: