Friday, January 8

Healing

 I've been blogging for years and years now. Since 2004 I think on this site. Most of my posts are similar in theme, and often about healing, therapies and mental health. 

I have always found this theme interwoven in my life, whether by experience with family or friends. Mental health and well being, illness and disability- all very prominent throughout my life. In my young life a family suicide was my first deeply felt moment, where I recognized the severity, the importance of taking mental health seriously. Not many years later two very close friends diagnosed with chronic lifelong illnesses that now render them both disabled. In my 30s I watched another manic episode of depression unfurl, an attempted suicide, a hospitalization. I met many coworkers with chronic illnesses, some since birth, some developed over time. Diagnoses ranged from livers to lungs, feet to fibromyalgia, MS to COPD to BPD and PTSD. Much of the time a chronic illness will marry with a form of anxiety and manifest in depression.

It is a lack of empathy and education that result in people misunderstanding illness. It is frustrating to live with ongoing pain. Living with a disability is exhausting. Explaining yourself to others is exhausting. Trying to heal or find ways to live comfortably is exhausting. 

Be mindful next time you interact with a person who is struggling daily with a chronic ongoing illness. 

Be aware that these people may not be able to participate in life the way they once did. 

Being understanding and empathetic will build bridges in ways that judgement and criticism cannot. Once words are said they cannot be unsaid. Let's work towards a New Year where we recognize what we have each gone through. A shift into understanding - a validation.

I wish my friends with recent new diagnosis healing and health. Find your resources, invest yourself in the Self Help, apply what you learn in therapy. Have a happy, healthy New Year. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So true! Mental health issues should be front and center this year and every year. A lot of people need this.