Thursday, September 16

I am seeing stars today as well, but not in a good way.

Yesterday was "pay day" via rental income. I am lucky to be paid on the 1st and 15th from each different property which is nice (and necessary!) I thought I would be smart and immediately pay bills last night to ensure the funds went where they were required. I kept a few dollars in the account for groceries and gas.

(Apparently I was also thinking I was smart LAST payday, when I proactively put in the internet banking FUTURE DATED BILLS for oh... today. All the bills I paid yesterday, in fact, were apparently paid again today. Sadly I FORGOT about this plan, and this is what happened...!!)


This morning I head to the local 7-11 for just a few small things. I am standing there with a small $6.55 bill for some coffee and other goods and lo and behold, my debit card is declined. Gasp! But why!? I say, with big bewildered eyes. But I have money in there! But but but but...! I whip open my cell phone and get a very calm and professional call center lady from my bank on the phone, who patiently explains that I have spent all my money on bill payments. Did I need her to review them all? (very slowly I say...) Nooo, I don't think sooo... thanks. I go to the bank machine and look at the balance myself, with my own beady little eyeballs. Whaaaa?!!! Oh, no no no no noooooo....something is very wrong here.

I'm driving home, thinking over and over and over that my math can simply NOT be that bad.. is it?! Nooo, it can't be. I paid this and this and that, and then there was this much left.... What the hell! I get home, grab the trusty backup Mastercard and go get my damn $6 purchase from Sev, all the while STILL adding up what funds SHOULD be there... On my return, I take my stupid Mastercard-paid coffee upstairs and investigate what the HELL went wrong with my math!!

Shit. Sometimes I apparently outsmart myself. Apparently Past Proactive Self and Future Proactive Self need to talk! But boy, are my bills paid. Except for my coffee. Thanks, Mastercard.

2 comments:

~n~ said...

that's kinda funny, in a not-so-funny kinda way. lol too bad those pymts can't be applied against NEXT month's bills (at least on credit cards, right?). do you get pd bi-monthly or bi-weekly? i prefer bi-wkly as then a couple times a yr you get 3 paydays in a month and it allows you to catch up (or in your case, get ahead). ha ha ha

thank goodness for mastercard.

~n~ said...

that's kinda funny, in a not-so-funny kinda way. lol too bad those pymts can't be applied against NEXT month's bills (at least on credit cards, right?). do you get pd bi-monthly or bi-weekly? i prefer bi-wkly as then a couple times a yr you get 3 paydays in a month and it allows you to catch up (or in your case, get ahead). ha ha ha

thank goodness for mastercard.